Monday, March 7, 2016

#19 Staying in St. Vincent...New Companion on the way...

Alright, so this is the last week of the transfer and there was a lot of running around getting my Companion Elder Tupou ready to move to St. Lucia.   As for me, I will be staying in St. Vincent and my new Companion will be Elder Gordon who is from Jamaica.   I have served around him since I have been out in the field and he is a really awesome guy.   I am really excited to serve with him and to get a lot of work done in this area because there are so many amazing people here in this area.

As for this past week, nothing special really happened besides last Monday we missed the 4pm bus ride back so we got stuck in town.  We didn’t get home until Tuesday and sleeping in dirty clothes is not fun and really kills the nose.

So in the Caribbean there is something called “play names”.  It’s were the local give someone a nickname and that’s what you are called from then on.   There really weird like there is a guy named “kuku” and another named man “bud” so there really hard on the creative nature but as a missionary it is a dream to get a play name.   Last week I shared how they call me “fast balla”. That is only when go play cricket.  This last week I received the name “Billy”.  I’m really not sure why or anything but now wherever I go in our town people just call me Billy.  It’s probably my greatest accomplishment to get a play name so all the other missionaries are jealous.

I’m sorry for this week’s short letter.  My comp sleeps in most of the day so we are only out a few hours every day and when were out it’s hard to get him going.  So as soon as I get my new companion it should be back to good emails with interesting things going on and spiritual experiences and such. One positive thing about not getting out much is I did read the Book of Mormon in 42 days.   Pretty exciting but I hope I don’t ever have time to do that again on my mission.  However, I do understand the enabling power of the Atonement a lot more now.

I love you all and hope you’re doing well.
Love Elder Fokken


No comments:

Post a Comment